Warm Zucchini Salad

Poof…I’m back! It’s CSA season, and in July, that means zucchini. And a lot of ‘em. One of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini is inspired by a classic appetizer from The Red Cat. When I was working my way through grad school in my 20s, my evenings and weekends were spent hostessing at The Red Cat, a friendly restaurant in NYC’s Chelsea. One of the perks of being a hostess was that at the end of our shift, we could order up to $22 off the menu (in lieu of tips – It was my kind of deal). After my glass of wine, I had about $15 dollars left to spend on food, and most nights, I used part of that to buy their Sauteed Zucchini with Toasted Almonds and Pecorino. I’ve used this dish as an inspiration many-a-time, and I was jonesing for it after getting 5 pieces of zucchini in last night’s CSA share. I took many liberties with the original recipe, which calls for pecorino and almonds. I only had parmigiano and walnuts, which worked fine. I also wanted to work in some onions, chives, and garlic (all which came in last night’s CSA box as well), so I did.

Warm Zucchini Salad

• 2-3 pieces of zucchini,  julienned (I shredded tonight in the Cuisinart. It went okay (maybe a little wattery). In the future I might take the extra time to julienne properly.)
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • chives
  • Walnuts, roasted
  • Parmigiano, shaved
  • Olive oil, salt, pepper

1. Saute the onion and garlic in some olive oil until soft and fragrant
  2. Add zucchini, salt and pepper; saute for no more than 1-2 minutes
  3. Toss with walnuts, plate, and top with shaved parmigiano

Similar Posts:

This entry was posted in CSA, Recipes, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

8 Comments

1. Rosie
    Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! So nice to have you back!!

2. Posted August 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

So glad to hear from you. This looks so tasty. I think I’ll definitely have to make me a dairy-free version.

3. Posted August 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Love the ingredients and presentation. Have you considered adding a grain of some sort? It could be a meal all its own.

4. Jennifer Bomwell
    Posted August 5, 2011 at 9:33 am | Permalink

This looks awesome. Visiting my parents in western NY state this week and they have zucchinis coming out of their ears! Really! I am going to relieve them of their burden tonight:) So happy to have this seasonal post. Great pic.

5. Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Wow, this looks pretty unbelievably delicious. We always have Zucchini so I will attempt this soon!

6. Posted August 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Looks so good! I love the addition of the walnuts!

7. Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I love zucchini. I get lots of it from a friend who has a surplus from her gardens every year, but I’m tired of eating it the same way all the time. I really don’t like getting tired of foods I love! I will definitely be trying this recipe as soon as I get more zucchini.

I’m also glad you used walnuts instead of almonds because I like those better and I otherwise wouldn’t have thought to swap. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Posted October 27, 2011 at 3:03 am | Permalink

I like zucchini, taste very fresh. thanks for shared,
    i will try semeday…